Monday 6 October 2014

A letter to the Editor

Keenan Paterson

5 October 2014

Dear Editor,
After reading the article "Wanna ‘Go Indian’? Welcome to the Party of 1 Billion+!" stating your view on the use of cultural symbols in pop culture, I felt the urge to comment on certain points that were brought about. I, not being from the Sub-continental region of Asia, do not have much first hand knowledge of the cultural meaning and value behind these symbols, and I, therefore, feel that I have no right to judge, nor fully argue against your views on the use of your own cultural traditions. But I will take the time to comment on some points you made based on what I perceive the general idea of cultural appropriation to be.

Firstly, you stated that if she wants to be indian, she should be welcomed and embraced with open arms into the "party of 1 billion+." Selena Gomez received much controversy regarding her use of the bindi in several performances. When Gomez was criticised for it, she was asked to apologise and said:
"I think the song has that Hindu, tribal feel and I wanted to translate that. I’ve been learning about my chakra and bindis and the culture — it’s beautiful."
Where's the wrong in that? With regards to the idea of cultural appropriation, Gomez states that she has been learning about the cultural symbols that were used. As long as this is the case, there is no reason why it should be considered inappropriate cultural appropriation, and in the same breath, I do agree with the idea that she should be welcomed to the "party of 1 billion+."

I am also in agreement with the contradictory comment that was made about the loss of authenticity and ancient meaning. It's great to have brought up this topic.
Referring to what was said in the last paragraph, it is true that Americans may not have known what a bindi was around a decade or two ago. But now that more Americans do, many of whom supposedly see the bindi as nothing more than a "pretty" accessory, it is beginning to lose its authenticity. It's in situations like these where use of cultural symbols should be seen as inappropriate cultural appropriation, when the user has no knowledge or appreciation for its meaning.

If I see or hear of foreigners using objects or components of our own cultural, I too tend to feel a strong sense of pride over offence, that is if I feel offended at all, but as long as they know of the cultural meaning and authenticity of it. Overall, the level of cultural open-mindedness that you express is a really great thing, for as long as they understand, why not embrace them?






1 comment:

  1. Wow man what a coincidence!!!!! We used the exact same article to respond to

    ReplyDelete